Tuesday 1 July 2014

3d Modelling: The Shackles

Doing some 3D modelling!

I haven't used 3ds Max in a good month, also I now have the 2015 version rather than the earlier one, which I was used to. I felt I needed to have a go at some modelling to familiarize myself with all the old tools and the new additions. 

I decided to create the shackles that will be used as a collectible item within the game.














I used the Snapshot tool, in the Tools section of the navigation bar, to create the chain links. The cuffs were a bit more complicated, I used a circle spline with a thickness to get the basic shape then used tools like Extrude, Chamfer and Procutter to create the rest of the piece.

I've gone for a simple style trying to keep the polygon count low so that it doesn't affect the game's rendering time. I have put simple metal textures on the model but I'm still not 100% happy with them yet so I'll probably play around with them a bit more. The textures can also affect render time if they're to complex so I want to keep them simple yet effective.

Thanks for reading. X

No comments:

Post a Comment