Thursday 21 August 2014

3d Modelling: The Cell with Bars

Prop for the Prison Level

The 1st Cell

Front View

This cell is for valuable inmates, it's bigger than the others at 1.8 x 1.8 x 1.8.
These images show the basic cell without any props/objects inside. 
(Note: Backface Cull is on so certain parts in the images may look a bit weird.)


The Entire Cell (In these images)

The polygon count is 1,390.
The vertex count is 1,806.
                                                             


The Blue Bars (All you see)                                                The Grey Section

The polygon count is 956.                                                      The polygon count is 190.
The vertex count is 1260.                                                       The vertex count is 242.                             


Side-Angled View

I used lots of reference images of cells in actual prisons, I also researched sizes so I knew the norm and could play around with it to fit my ideas.
I didn't run into many problems but it was still time-consuming as I spent ages making sure all the lines were in all the right places, even resulting in calculating the numbers to get the most precise lines.




The Keyhole


One particular problem I faced was making the keyhole. I used procutter to create it. Firstly, creating a keyhole shape with splines, turning it into a 3d shape the placing it into the place the keyhole needs to be and using the procutter tool to create the shaped hole. Unfortunately when I did this directly on to the cuboid connected to the rest of the cell it caused all other lines in the cell to change direction and look generally messy.
After much contemplation and attempts to achieve the desired result I found a way that worked. I created a completely separate box that was exactly the same size, used the above method to get the keyhole-shaped hole then attached and welded the vertices to the cell, this meant the other lines within the cell weren't affected.

Thanks for reading. X

No comments:

Post a Comment