Tuesday 5 August 2014

3d Modelling: The Gladius

Prop for the Roman Level

As the title suggests this is a roman gladius, I used the image I created in Flash, on the left, as a reference to create the 3D model.

This will be placed as a prop on the floor of the roman level to suggest this is one of the weapons the opposition used against Trajan.




The polygon count is 788.
The vertices count is 681.

I started of with a plane for the blade, I then used extrude and symmetry to get the thickness of the blade, I then welded the vertices at the top to get the point.

The hilt started off as a sphere, which I the manipulated to get the shape you see.










The Sword Hilt





After creating the sphere I deleted some polygons at the top, capped the gap then extruded out the polygon, beveling certain areas to show the hand grips and to get the curved bit at the top.


Connecting the hilt to the blade proved to be a difficult task. I spent a while trying to find the best way to attach them. Eventually I was able to connect the vertices as you see in the image on the left. I wanted to make sure it was centred properly and didn't look wonky.









Texturing

For this weapon I plan to use a silver metal for the blade, gold for certain areas on the hilt and a varnished wood for the rest of the hilt.


Thanks for reading. X


No comments:

Post a Comment