Wednesday 6 August 2014

3d Modelling: The Spatha

Prop for the Roman Level

This is the roman spatha, I used the image on the left as a reference to create the 3D model.

This is a prop for the roman level, this will be a weapon the officers of the opposition would've used against Trajan.

The polygon count is 419.
The vertices count is 386.


Again, I started of with a plane for the blade and then used symmetry, I extruded out the end to get a slightly more curved, rather than sharp, point.

This sword took me a lot longer due to the complexity of the hilt, it was more complex the gladius.







The Sword Hilt


Here is a close-up of the hilt, as you can see it has a lot more going on, I started off with a box and created the curve effect that you can see on both the top and bottom of the hilt with the extrude tool, after creating one side I just used symmetry to copy it over to the other side then joined them up. I aligned the vertices on the lowest part of the curved shape so it was completely level, straight and centered and provided me with a good base to start extruding and beveling to make the handle.

I then joined the top part to the bottom part with the bridge tool.




One of the hardest parts of this sword was connecting the ball shape to the bottom of the hilt, after a lot experimenting I used roughly the same method as above. I deleted some polygons off the sphere, capped it, created some extra lines that matched up with the ones on the curved area and bridged the polygons together.


Texturing

I shall use gold metal on parts of the hilt and a silver metal for the blade, some parts of the hilt will be a very dark wood color. 

Thanks for reading. X

No comments:

Post a Comment