Saturday 2 August 2014

3d Modelling: The Mace

Prop for the Roman Level

I have been debating what melee weapon Trajan should have in the Roman level, at first it was between a sword or a giant hammer but then after some research and contemplation I decided a mace would be perfect. It's a good mix of sharp and solid, I wanted a weapon that wasn't just a hammer that had one way of causing pain. The mace has that solid part but also sharp spikes that can do even more damage; it had connotations of brute strength and a merciless death.





The polygon count is 1090.
The vertices count is 950. 

I started off with a sphere and extruded the bottom polygons to create the handle.

The detailing on the handle was done by creating extra lines using connect then extruding the respective polygons. 








The Mace Head



The spikes were made by beveling out alternating polygons on the sphere.
I then with all the vertices selected I welded them together to get the point.


The Mace Hilt


Similar to the spikes on the head the ones going around are done with the extrusion and welding tools.

The three points were done using two bevels. After welding the vertices I used the select and uniform scale tool to bring them towards the centre.




Texturing

I plan to texture this model after doing some other weapons, so I do them all together. I will be incorporating gold to give the roman look and a worn out iron to show age.


Thanks for reading. X

No comments:

Post a Comment