Wednesday 15 October 2014

3d Modelling: The Prison Buildings

The Prison Model

So here it is from the top view. 
I underestimated the difficulty of modelling this. I used the spline method with snap to vertex to ensure everything was to the same measurements as on AutoCAD but unfortunately I kept running into pitfalls. An example of this is when I used one spline for pretty much the entire main building but when I extruded the line the polygons and lines didn't behave as I thought they would. It was going to be to difficult and time-consuming to fix so I just started again.

In the end I used the same method but did each section with a different line, then extruded them straight after to make sure it was working before I moved to the next section, which is why all the areas are different colours.

To get a better idea of how everything comes together here are the buildings from a different angle.


The Living Quarters

This is for the members of staff to stay, there are 5 of these buildings. Each have 6 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, a living room and a dining area.
My first thought for this was army barracks but I wanted them to seem luxurious to contrast with the inmates living conditions. 

The Cell Block

The cell block you see on the left has 10 cells along one wall then 5 along the adjacent walls.
These are the 2nd grade cells so are 1.8 m by 1.5 m by 1.8 m.
There will be a staircase in the centre to get to the 1st grade cells, which will be directly above.


The Offices and The Infirmary

The room on the right of the image is the infirmary. The small room on the left is the office for the head scientist, the bigger room around it will include desks for the other scientists and staff members. 




The Reception, The Mess Hall and The Staff Room

The title for this image shows the order from left to right what all the rooms are.
Part of the reception wall is connected to the cell block element at the moment which is why the gap is really big at the top of the image. 



Final Thoughts

I found it challenging working with such a large scale model, when moving the view around to see certain sections I could really feel the difference in comparison to other modelling I have done. Even though it was difficult and was frustrating at times I stuck with it because getting all the measurements exact is very important to me. 
I was worried that if I scaled the building down to make it easier to work on then scaled it back up when I was finished I may end up with more problems; so for now I will continue to work on it with the real-life measurements I decided on when working in AutoCAD.

Thanks for reading. X

No comments:

Post a Comment